Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Picking the Perfect Wedding Dress

My wedding gown laid out and ready to be steamed and put on!  I remember the excitement I felt when I walked into this room and saw it waiting for me!  I love seeing the reflection of one of my bridesmaids in the mirror!  I wish I knew which one it was!
My sister, Kari, is about to head out to her first bridal fitting after selecting her dress.  I am so honored that she asked me to come with her and I can't wait to see her in the gown!  It got me thinking about what a big deal it is to select that one dress that you dream about for years and years!  For some, it is simple.  They have had a vision of what their gown will be like since they were in the second grade.  For others, that vision is not as clear and selecting just one can be terrifying!  It is an important decision and one that you will reflect on for years to come.  Here are my tips for choosing the perfect wedding gown:

- After you are engaged, start browsing through the bridal magazines and tearing out images of dresses that you like.  You might notice a pattern in the styles, designers, and cuts that you are pulling.

- Be sure to try on all of the different shapes and cuts that the professionals at the bridal boutiques suggest.  Even though you may think a trumpet style will not work on your body shape, the pros are experienced and their knowledge and ideas might surprise you!  Be open minded and make it fun!

-Gowns can take anywhere from four to ten months to deliver and you might need to leave time in there for fittings and alterations as well.  Be sure to shop early and explain your deadlines to your boutique sales team.

-Make an appointment.  Most Bridal Boutiques work by appointment only so set aside some time and book  an hour or so at a few different places.

- Set a budget before you shop!  Ask the shops for the price range of the dresses they sell when you call to make an appointment.

- Take your trusted tastemakers with you but believe in your own reactions too.  Invite your mom, sisters, bridesmaids, or friends to go with you when you first try things on but don't let them talk you into something that just isn't you.

-Take shoes that are similar to the heel height you plan on wearing on your big day.  They really do make a difference!  After you select your dress and purchase your wedding day shoes, take them with you to your fittings so that the length can be measured appropriately.

- Take photographs!  Ask your mom or bridesmaid to take photographs of you in the dresses that you are considering.  They will help you look back and remember the little details that made one dress stand out from the others.

- Don't buy on your first visit.  Think about the dresses that are your top choices and sleep on it.  Go back and try them on a second time before you place your order.

- Keep the dress style appropriate to the time, season, style and location of your wedding.  A ball gown is not going to look right at the beach!

For more of my bridal tips, you can order my Wedding Workbook: A Time Saving Guide for the Busy Bride. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is a great blog! I love the way you write. I would really like to do a featured post on my blog, just let us know!Dallas Wedding Photographer

    ReplyDelete

 

design + development by kelly christine studio