Thursday, October 2, 2014

Happy Fall Y'all! A Guest Post from James Farmer

As a fellow Editor-at-Large for Southern Living and Gibbs Smith author with the ever fabulous Kim Whitman, I have the honor of working with this grand dame on fun projects for the magazine. We’ve traveled to Charleston, been on the Today Show and get to visit with each other when I’m in The Big D… she always knows where to eat a fantastic dinner!

I wanted to take y’all on a walk through fall for my guest post on Kim’s blog. Fall is my favorite season. I’ve said it many a time and SL has quoted me that “Fall is a Southerner’s reward for surviving summer.” I like to keep my Texas friends in the Southern loop – after all, y’all do have big hair and barbeque! So, y’all take a walk with me across some autumnal delights. I have a fall tablescape that is so fun – garden to table at its best! A fun fizzy drink to toast to the season, some fall faves when it comes to food and of course, my Mimi’s Apple Cake.

Y’all should come on down to Perrydise sometime – but in the meantime, enjoy some tones, textures and tastes from my home to yours. Happy Fall y’all!

Apple Ginger Sparkler
serves 6

¾ cups Ginger Simple Syrup
5 cups good apple cider
1 can ginger ale*
Cinnamon sticks for garnish
Candied ginger for garnish

Place 2 tablespoons syrup in each glass. Optionally, freeze the syrup ahead to make ice cubes and place 2 ice cubes in each glass. Fill the glasses with regular ice cubes.

Mix the cider and ginger ale and pour over the ice. Stir to blend and chill the liquid. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and candied ginger.

You can substitute cider for the ginger ale, if desired, or even sparkling mineral water for a less sweet drink.

Mimi’s Apple Cake

3 eggs
2 cups sugar*
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons good vanilla
3 apples, chopped to make 3 cups
1 cup toasted and chopped pecans
2 teaspoons cinnamon

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then add sugar and oil and beat. Add dry ingredients, apples, and nuts. Mix well.

Pour into greased Bundt pan or tube pan.

Bake at 335 degrees F for 90 minutes.

Garnish with freshly whipped cream and roasted pecans, buttered and salted.

* Reduce by a third if your apples are sweet enough.











No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio