Friday, February 11, 2011

Etiquette Dilemma

OH boy....this tough question came from Kelly in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada:

Dear Kimberly,
I never know what to do when someone I am at the dinner table has food in their teeth, toilet paper on their shoe or lipstick on their chin.  Please help me!  Do I tell them or not?
Kelly

Well Kelly, these situations can be really hard to maneuver gracefully but I think they really boil down to the simple golden rule:  do unto others as you would like them to do unto you!  Ask yourself, in each of these situations, what you would want someone sitting with you to do and then do it!  What if the person is your boss or future mother-in-law?  The situations can be tricky.  Before you tell someone that is not your significant other or best friend about the lettuce in their teeth, give someone who is closer to that person the opportunity to point it out discreetly.  If you are the most appropriate person to point something out, do it with kindness and discretion.  I hope that helps!

Please write to me with your questions and I will do my best to help!
You can reach me at askkim@kimberlyschlegel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio