Not all reds are alike and picking the perfect color is key. You must consider your underlying skin tone.
- If your base skin color has yellow tones, a warmer shade of red with brown undertones is perfect for you. Look for something that you might describe as "brick red."
- If your natural skin has red or pink undertones, you will want to lean towards reds with a pink or blue base.
- Warm olive skin tones, like mine, look best in a warm red to match. An orange or golden tone will work.
- Women with dark skin look amazing in a bright fuchsia-like red.
- Look for a long-wearing lipstick as the bold red is more noticeable as it starts to fade than a pale color is.
- Start with a lip moisturizer as a base.
- Apply a thin layer of your foundation or powder to help set the red lipstick. This will also help it last longer.
- Line your lips with a neutral lip liner (not a red one!) and then color them in with the same liner.
- Apply red lipstick lightly with a makeup brush so that you have an even application.
- Lightly blot your lips with a tissue after you have applied the lipstick.
- Do as the beauty queens do and put a touch of vaseline on your front teeth.
For a more gentler look, combine your best shade of red with a bit of vaseline or clear gloss for a natural rosy gloss look.